A design fiction examining the following question: what if we could outsource pain?
The format is an action/sci-fi movie trailer that takes itself too seriously.
Possible scenarios in a world where we can outsource pain:
- Taking the pain for people you care about (ex. community get well card becomes community pain sharing)
- Taking pain as a charity (ex. instead of donating money to someone in a third world country, take their pain for a day)
- People who need money sell themselves to take pain for other people. (pain prostitutes?)
- A society that raises a small number of people who’s lives are devoted solely to taking the pain for rest of the society.
- Rest of society never has to experience pain.
- the paintakers are either raised in a farm like in the Matrix or Cloud Atlas, or new borns are chosen every year to be sacrificed and families must give them up, like in Hunger Games
- people who see the paintakers, can’t understand b/c they have never felt pain
- someone in the sacrifice group escapes
- someone who has never experienced pain, experiences it for the first time
- chivalrous for guys to take the pain for the girls
- husband experiences contractions with wife during childbirth
- terrorism/sabotage of the outsourcing/sharing system: give pain to someone, mass pain terrorism.
- pain tolerance currently a symbol of toughness, masculinity – contests of how much pain you can take become extreme, instances of people dying
- system becomes a crime deterrent: system detects malicious intent, automatically makes aggressor feel the pain of the victim.
- outsourcing pain to animals